Contents: Introduction to Virtual Reality|Types of Virtual Reality|Companies Working on VR|Merits and Demerits|Conclusion
Introduction to Virtual Reality or Virtual World :
Virtual World or Virtual Reality means the same. A virtual world is a computer-simulated environment where a person creates his/her avatar and can explore the virtual world and also socialize with other users virtually. This field is substantial and is almost similar to reality. We can find virtual reality mostly in the gaming field.
We can call this Virtual Reality “Perceptual Illusion”. To experience these perceptual stimuli VR Goggles were invented.
Types of Virtual Reality:
Unlike the traditional user interfaces that allow us only to view a screen, VR allows the users to enter the screen and interact with the 3 Dimensional world which gives the experience of reality.
There are three main categories of Virtual Reality Simulations. They are:
- Non-immersive Simulation
- Semi-immersive Simulation
- Fully-immersive Simulation
This type of virtual experience is often overlooked because it has become absolutely widespread in daily life. This provides a computer-generated environment yet the user has to stay aware and keep control of the physical environment. Video Games are the best illustrations of non-immersive VR.
This type of simulation provides users with a partially virtual atmosphere. This technology provides realism through 3D graphics, known as vertical reality depth. This type of VR is mostly used for educational or training purposes and relies on high-resolution displays, projectors etc.
These Simulations give users the best realistic simulation experience perfect with sight and sound. To interact and experience this type of virtual reality, the user needs proper VR Glasses or a head mount display. The display creates a stereoscopic 3D effect that creates an immersive and believable experience. This is mostly seen in the Gaming field but now the education field is also adapting fully-immersive simulation VR.
Companies working on VR :
A lot of companies are working hard on developing virtual reality. As this is mostly used in the gaming industry, most of the companies are competing with each other to bring the best out of the best. Below listed are some of the companies which are working on VR:
- Facebook (Oculus VR)
- Google (Google Cardboard)
- HTC (HTC Vive)
- Samsung (Samsung Gear)
- Magic Leap (Magic Leap One)
- World Viz
- Snap Inc.
- First Hand Technology
- Next VR
- Marxent Labs
These are the companies and their models in VR Glasses production.
Merits and Demerits of Virtual World:
- VR is used to train the employees. Like, aspiring doctors taking advantage of virtual reality to avoid medical accidents.
- VR can be used to conduct a conference that provides real-time event coverage.
- VR saves time and money. It can make work more convenient.
- VR can be very helpful to students in making them understand the concepts and topics of respective subjects very well.
- As we know VR is mostly used in the Gaming field, it makes the games interesting and addictive that people will waste a lot of time on it.
- Overuse of VR may damage a person’s eyesight and cause brain damage.
- It is very expensive.
- There might be some functionality issues.
Virtual Reality is a never-ending saga. There is no limit to it. Ultimate development can be done in this field. Virtual Reality is the future. Gradually, one day, the whole world will become dependent on Virtual Reality. Though it has its merits it also has risky disadvantages. It completely depends on the way we use it.